[i2c] [patch 2.6.19-rc5] some i2c driver model updates

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Thu Nov 16 19:17:57 CET 2006

Hi David,

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:17:44 -0800, David Brownell wrote:
> Some driver model updates for the I2C core:
>
>  - Add new suspend(), resume(), and shutdown() methods.  Use them in the
>    standard driver model style; document them.
>
>  - Get rid of the I2C-private list of drivers; instead, use the list
>    already maintained by the driver model core.
>
>  - Minor doc updates to highlight zero-initialized fields in drivers, and
>    the driver model accessors for "clientdata".
>
>  - Also a few whitespace fixes in adjacent code.

Most of which I had to delete. We apparently don't have the same
definition of "adjacent", and the rule is that such changes belong to a
separate patch anyway. If you really care, please provide a separate
patch.

In fact the first two points should be separate patches as well, this
would make debugging much easier. Your patch is causing one of my
x86_64 test machines to hang right after boot when i2c-core is built
into the kernel and my framebuffer driver includes I2C/DDC support, and
with all the changes in one patch, I have no idea what change causes the
problem. I get a black screen, so no hint. Any idea?

Otherwise the patch looks good and as Greg appears to be happy with it,
I'll add it to my stack... as soon as it is fixed.

> If any i2c drivers were previously using the old suspend/resume calls
> in "struct driver", they were getting warning messages ... and will
> now no longer work.  Other than that, this patch changes no behaviors;
> and it lets I2C drivers use conventional PM and shutdown support.

I am not aware of any i2c chip driver using these calls, so this
shouldn't be a problem.