[i2c] "Using i2c-parport bus Driver"

Arnold abo_gwapo at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 12:30:25 CEST 2006

Hi Guys,

I've been exploring the i2c kernel. I've also
downloaded i2c-2.10.1 package. When I explored the
i2c-2.10.1 I saw the i2c-proc file. Then I read the
documentation about the i2c-proc file, and I saw this
statement that says the /proc/bus/i2c. I was having a
problem for a month now of trying to run a simple file
that uses a userspace program. My primary  problem is
trying to figure out what i2c-slave address to use. I
was looking at /proc/bus/ and I cant find one, and I
also explored /proc/sys/dev/ and still can not find
one. When I explored the i2c-2.10.1 package I saw a
i2c-proc.c, and I was curious so I checked my kernel.
I found out that my kernel does not have a i2c-proc.c.
So I am wondering if I really need this? Why was my
kernel did not have this? I am using kernel 2.6.17.
Can somebody give me a hand on this?

And another thing, when I copied the i2c-proc.c to my
kernel and compiled it I encountered errors? below are
the errors. For me this is a weird error because the
hci-usb.c is not using an i2c.

Error when compiling the kernel:
drivers/built-in.o: In function `i2c_register_entry':
hci_usb.c:(.text+0x42130): undefined reference to
`i2c_adapter_id'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `i2c_detect':
hci_usb.c:(.text+0x42e5c): undefined reference to
`i2c_adapter_id'
hci_usb.c:(.text+0x42e74): undefined reference to
`i2c_check_functionality'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

Thank you very much

Regards,