[i2c] I2C on broadcom, OpenWrt

Mark M. Hoffman mhoffman at lightlink.com
Sat Oct 28 15:55:44 CEST 2006

Hi Chuck:

* Chuck Harrison <cfharr at erols.com> [2006-10-24 14:45:59 -0700]:
> (Replying to myself) Here's what I've got:
>   http://openwrt.pbwiki.com/I2C

Nice.  You should consider submitting it to this list for review and inclusion
in the mainline kernel.

> BTW I developed this using the I2C drivers that shipped with the
> 2.6.17 kernel. I notice these forked a bit from the lm-sensors
> source. What's up with that? Is there a FAQ on it?

The lm-sensors source (i2c and lm_sensors packages) contains kernel bits for
the 2.4 kernel series... for the 2.6 kernel series we maintain the drivers
directly in Linus' tree.  Unless you care about the older kernels, just ignore
the kernel bits of the lm-sensors source.

There is a FAQ, but it doesn't mention this per se:
http://lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ

> Peace,
>   Chuck
>
> P.S. - I'm playing with this proximity chip:
> http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,,760_1077_AD7142,00.html .
> I can pick up a human body from two feet away.
>

> Chuck Harrison wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm repurposing a few Netgear WGT634U wireless storage routers as
> > embedded controllers in a techy art project.
> >
> > This box uses a Broadcom BCM5365 (MIPS) processor and I am working
> > with the OpenWrt distribution. I want to add bit-banging I2C over a
> > couple of accessible GPIO pins, using the 2.6 kernel's I2C
> > architecture.
> >
> > I'd love to hear of pointers to I2C development in this hardware
> > environment.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >   Chuck

Regards,