[i2c] "driver forgot to specify physical device"

Till Harbaum / Lists lists at harbaum.org
Sat Apr 14 19:38:21 CEST 2007

Hi,

i just updated to ubuntu feisty and thus to 2.6.20. My i2c-tiny-usb now
provoces the following warning:

**WARNING** I2C adapter driver [i2c-tiny-usb at bus 006 device 002] forgot to
specify physical device; fix it!

I didn't really have a reference driver to base my own on, since my driver
basically forwards the messages sent by the i2c core to my hardware and
is not interpreting the commands itself like all those other hardware drivers
do. Furthermore there's no such thing as a "algo" involved.

I don't really have a clue how this is to be solved correctly. I don't rely
on a physical driver or the like, so where and how do i have to provide
the physical device info? Please see the attached driver source if you think
you want to have a look at it.

I am willing to donate one of these devices
(http://www.harbaum.org/till/i2c_tiny_usb) to anyone willing to fix these
things and get the driver into the official kernel sources.

Regards,
  Till