[i2c] i2c-pport with kernel 2.6.X

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Sun Apr 22 12:08:55 CEST 2007

Hi Pierre,

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:47:51 +0200, pierre demanax wrote:
> But I dont really get the point as I am using the kernel 2.6.20 which is
> supposed to include the latest i2c package.

No. It doesn't "include" the latest i2c package. It _is_ the latest i2c
code.

If the "latest i2c package" you refer to is the i2c subversion
repository hosted at lm-sensors.org, it is meant for Linux 2.4. It has
nothing to do with the i2c code in the latest Linux 2.6 kernel. And it
is in maintenance mode, no further development is made on that branch.

> But if I look at the source code
> of this kernel for eg the i2c_bit_del_bus is not defined in the algo_bit.* (
> i looked at my /usr/src/linux folder as the
> /lib/modules/2.6.20/source/include/linux)
>
> So I look at the i2c-2.10.2 package where it is well defined. So I am mixed
> up. Am I wrong or did I choose the wrong kernel version ? I am a bit lost.

Your confusion comes from the fact that you assume that functions and
symbols are only added over time. i2c_bit_del_bus was _removed_
recently from Linux 2.6 recently because it wasn't needed. Same for the
mdelay field, it was removed because it wasn't used anywhere. A lot of
cleanups have been done to the i2c subsystem in Linux 2.6 over the past
few years.