[i2c] i2c-pport with kernel 2.6.X

pierre demanax baddemanax at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 25 11:29:36 CEST 2007

Hi jean,

Many thanks for those explanation, now i understand why some of those files
didn't match those of my kernel source.

I did further investigation about i2c over parallel port as it doesn't work
yet on my system. I managed to get a scope and I tried to monitor signal on
my port.
Actually I get NO HW activity on the port ( i tried i2cpport, as well as
i2c-parport with different pining, with the i2cdetect or sensors-detect
function..)

Then I installed a parallel printer with appropriate drivers to check if the
port is well working :-). That part work.

I guess i am doing something wrong.

Next I summarize what I do in order to use the i2c over // port, maybe
someone could correct me:

I self compiled my kernel which is a 2.6.20 ( I included all the i2c package
in the make menuconfig)
Then I did an apt-get install lm-sensors. ( my system is a debian sarge with
a new kernel)
Next I added the i2c_pport from rudolf marek, That i compiled with the help
of the i2c-community.

In order to use the i2c , i modprobe manually the following ones:
modprobe i2c-algo-bit
modprobe i2c-dev
insmod i2c-pport.ko ( modprobe doesn't work for that one) OR
modprobe i2c-parport type=1 ....

then I do i2cdetect 0  and also sensors-detect
In the latter there is a message to detect sensors on the primitive parallel
port or the parallel port that give me the impression the driver is well
loaded.

During the detection i used the scope on the pining refered in the
documentation. But on my system there are no activities ?

Did i forget something ?

regards,
vincent