[i2c] problems with Dell Inspiron 8000

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Sat Feb 17 21:11:02 CET 2007

Hi Matthias,

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:00:54 +0100, Matthias Weiss wrote:
> From the i8kutils README:
>
>     1.0 A17 2J59L02 52 2 1 8040 6420 1 2
>     |   |   |       |  | | |    |    | |
>     |   |   |       |  | | |    |    | +------- 10. buttons status
>     |   |   |       |  | | |    |    +--------- 9.  ac status
>     |   |   |       |  | | |    +-------------- 8.  right fan rpm
>     |   |   |       |  | | +------------------- 7.  left fan rpm
>     |   |   |       |  | +--------------------- 6.  right fan status
>     |   |   |       |  +----------------------- 5.  left fan status
>     |   |   |       +-------------------------- 4.  CPU temperature (Celsius)
>     |   |   +---------------------------------- 3.  serial number
>     |   +-------------------------------------- 2.  BIOS version
>
> (...)
>
> I want the lm-sensors software to access this data ( CPU temperature, fan
> status, fan rpm, ... )

This isn't supported at the moment, sorry. The i8k driver would need to
export its data in a way which conforms with the hwmon sysfs-interface
standard, rather than a dedicated file in /proc with an arbitrary
format. Feel free to ask the author/maintainer of the driver to
implement that, it shouldn't be too hard.

We're going off-topic for this mailing-list, BTW.