[i2c] [RFC] Lifebook apanel driver

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Thu Jan 4 20:57:43 CET 2007

Hi Dmitry,

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:15:53 -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Hi Jean,
>
> On 1/4/07, Jean Delvare <khali at linux-fr.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > +config INPUT_APANEL
> > > +       tristate "Fujitsu Lifebook Application Panel buttons"
> > > +       depends on X86 && !X86_64
> > > +       select I2C
> > > +       help
> >
> > Broken indentation, you should be using tabs not spaces. Also, drivers
> > should depend on I2C, not select it. Mixing both tends to be confusing.
> >

> I think we should select major subsystems cores (or things needed of
> they are "downsteam" in config from the option being considered) and
> use depend either for hardware limitations or for features of a
> subsystem.

I'm not discussing whether doing things differently would be better or
not. I'm only asking for consistency. Right now, subsystems (PCI, USB,
I2C) are "depended on", not "selected", and it matters to do that
consistently, otherwise the use gets easily confused.

If you think things should be different, feel free to discuss it on
LKML, send patches etc. but that's not the point here.

> > > +/*
> > > +    SMBus client for the Fujitsu Lifebook Application Panel
> > > +
> > > +    Copyright (C) 2007 Stephen Hemminger <shemminger at osdl.org>
> > > +    Copyright (C) 2001-2003 Jochen Eisinger <jochen at penguin-breeder.org>
> > > +
> > > +    This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
> > > +    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
> > > +    the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
> > > +    (at your option) any later version.
> >
> > Actually not, the kernel is GPLv2 only.
>
> The kernel as a whole is GPLv2 however individual modules are not
> necessary GPLv2. We have mix of BSD, GPLv2 and GPLv2+. It is up to the
> author to decide.

Ah, I never realized that. So I must stop asking contributors to change
that, thanks for letting me know.

Now, I get to wonder what it really means in practice when Linus claims
loudly that "Linux is GPL v2 only", while 99% of the drivers have their
license set to "GPL" and not "GPL v2".