[i2c] [patch 2.6.23-rc6] i2c-algo-bit whitespace fixes (+ NAK/ARB comments)

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Fri Nov 9 22:25:29 CET 2007

Hi David,

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 10:48:11 -0800, David Brownell wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 October 2007, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > Please send an updated patch and I'll apply it.
>
> Now that "checkpatch --file" exists, I ran that and fixed the
> issues it reported.  Also I:
>
>  - cleaned up the sendbytes() return path to distinguish NAK
>    from other cases ... which today are only timeouts (errors)
>    but someday should include lost arbitration (not errors).
>
>  - fixed the bug where EFAULT was wrongly returned for NAK
>    errors; it's not a bad user address.
>
> Plus addressing your feedback.
>
> - Dave

Thanks for the update.

> =======	CUT HERE
> Fix *LOTS* of whitespace goofs and checkpatch.pl warnings, strangely
> parenthesized ternary expressions, and other CodingStyle glitches.

I've split the patch in two, first one with the whitespace cleanups...

> Update comments and logging on return path for byte writes.  NAK is
> an error, to be reported or optionally ignored.  Timeouts are always
> errors.  Lost arbitration is not currently handled, so don't even list
> it as an option in the error message.
>
> Don't return bogus EFAULT code for inappropriate NAK; EIO is better,
> there is no bad userspace address in question.

...second one with this change. It's not a big change, but it _is_ a
code change, compared to all the rest which is only formatting changes.
You never know what impact a code change can have, so I prefer to have
it in a separate patch. It's cleaner that way anyway.

You can see the exact patches I took in my tree here:
http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/linux-2.6/jdelvare-i2c/i2c-algo-bit-whitespace-cleanups.patch
http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/linux-2.6/jdelvare-i2c/i2c-algo-bit-sendbyte-error-code.patch

Thanks,