[i2c] [Linux-fbdev-devel] [RFC] driving a LCD panel via I2C

Haavard Skinnemoen hskinnemoen at atmel.com
Mon Sep 24 12:34:08 CEST 2007

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:58:08 +0200 (CEST)
"Rodolfo Giometti" <giometti at enneenne.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an LCD panel on a custom PXA27x based board and it must be
> turned on/off by some special commands via a GPIO throught a I2C chip.
>
> I'd like some suggestion about I can easily manage this situation.

I have a similar panel in the sense that it needs a bunch of SPI
commands to get started. I implemented a LCD driver
(drivers/video/backlight) for it so that it is automatically turned
on/off at bootup/shutdown, and can be manually turned on/off
through /sys/class/lcd/ltv350qv/power. AFAIK the driver is currently
sitting in the backlight tree scheduled for inclusion in 2.6.24.

> Maybe can I add a special I2C function to get i2c_client pointer and
> then using it to send on/off commands to the LCD?

Just implement it as a regular I2C chip driver which registers a device
with the LCD framework when it is successfully probed.

Håvard