[i2c] how to avoid filling up kernel log file

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Thu Sep 27 14:24:37 CEST 2007

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:03:35 +0200, pierre demanax wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was running i2c over // port for while when my laptop crashed due to disk full.
> I found out that apparently the driver was filling up a lot of log files with all the transactions ( read-write ...) at the end it was quite some gigas :-(
>
> is there a way to stop those writing to log files ?
>
> I remembered that when i compiled the kernel i selected some debug functionnalities for the i2c.
> So maybe i should recompile the kernel without those debug stuff, or if you know a way to avoid that would be nice.

The log filling is indeed caused by the debug mode. If the log messages
are coming from i2c-algo-bit, you can get rid of them by loading it
with i2c_debug=0, or writing 0
to /sys/module/i2c_algo_bit/parameters/i2c_debug after loading it.
Otherwise you have to recompile without debugging. Alternatively, as a
temporary workaround, you can tell your syslog daemon to stop logging
messages with level=debug.