[i2c] Problem with restricted I2C algorithms in kernel 2.6.26!

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Fri Aug 8 11:37:53 CEST 2008

Hi Trent,

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 16:41:10 -0700 (PDT), Trent Piepho wrote:
> Expecting every developer to keep abreast of linux-next and the tens of
> thousands of patches it gets just isn't realisitic.
>
> The embedded platforms I develop on won't run linux-next.  Continuously
> porting them to linux-next is simply impossible.  The man hours required to
> do that would be staggering.

Once again a "believe me it's impossible" without any good reason
given. I fail to see why embedded platforms would be any different from
other platforms or subsystem trees. Please enlighten me.

> The pool of testers available to a driver that requires running linux-next
> is going to be orders of magnitude less that a driver that can be compiled
> out of tree against 2.6.19 to 2.6.27.

Except that distributions start packaging linux-next, while in general
they don't package out-of-tree versions of packages that are also
available in the kernel tree. If the v4l-dvb tip was in linux-next (it
isn't, is it?), I suspect that you would get many more testers than you
have at the time being. Which doesn't mean that you can't additionally
provide out-of-tree drivers for older kernels if you think it's worth
the additional effort (I don't think it is, but it's up to whoever does
the work.)