[i2c] Regd. i2c-dev and SMBALERT#

srinivas.ramana at wipro.com srinivas.ramana at wipro.com
Tue Oct 7 13:30:58 CEST 2008

Hi All,

1. I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of user space
driver for I2C using i2c-dev, compared to the kernel mode drivers.

2. What happens if a driver is already bind to the device and
application tries to open/use it using i2c-dev?

3. My understanding on SMBALERT# is that it provides the I2C/SMBus
device to interrupt the host.
        a. The driver for SMBALERT# is different from the adapter
driver?
        b. What kind of support is provided for SMBALERT# in current
kernels?

Request your help in understanding the above.

Thanks & Regards,
-- Srinivas R

www.wipro.com