[i2c] MAX1236 with smbus (CS5536 ACB0)

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Wed Oct 15 10:17:36 CEST 2008

Hi Andreas,

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 03:01:56 +0200, Andreas Seidler wrote:
> Jean Delvare schrieb:
> > Hi Andreas,
> >
> > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 03:20:48 +0200, Andreas Seidler wrote:
> >> I want to connect a MAX1236 (ADC) [1] to a I2C/SMBus in a
> >> PC-Engines/ALIX board to monitor some voltages.
> >> This board have a AMD geode CPU with an an I2C companion (scx200_acb.c).
> >>
> >>[...]
> >> but i cant access the MAX1236 on slave address 0x34.
> >> (0x4c is the onbard LM90)
> >
> > Maybe it's not wired properly?
>
> I can access this ADC wired to a i2c-ibm_iic (build-in IBM PPC_P405)

That's not the question. Maybe the chip was wired properly on that
system and not on the CS5563 system.

You can also try i2cdetect -r and see if it makes a difference.

> > If it is wired properly, then another possibility is that the MAX1236
> > is doing clock stretching beyond what the CS5536 supports...
>
> and this is my second problem: i cant read the A/D-converted values from
> userspace (eg. with i2cget) without spezial code or kernel module?

I'm not sure if i2cget can work with this device. The transactions used
by the MAX1236 are raw reads and writes which aren't too
SMBus-friendly, but it you don't care too much about performance,
i2cget may still work depending on how you read the datasheet. I
suggest that you give it a try on the IBM PPC system where you know the
chip is properly wired.

i2cget 0 0x34 0x81 w

should give you the raw value of the 1st ADC channel. You'll have to
byte-swap it because SMBus specifies that words go on the wire LSB
first.

i2cget 0 0x34 0x83 w

should give the value of the 2nd ADC channel, and so on. Check the
datasheet for details on the configuration byte format.

> >> Does "I2C no" means the CS5536 is a plain smbus without i2c support?
> >
> > Yes and no. It means that the scx200_acb driver runs the CS5536 in
> > SMBus mode without plain I2C support. But there is also the scx200_i2c
> > driver (which I would love to see go away in favor of i2c-gpio but
> > that's another story) which can use the same pins as GPIO to do plain
> > I2C.
>
> Thank you for this info!
> Know i found "the story" in this thread too (http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/4/14/59)
> with more infos.
>
> now i tested scx200_i2c:
> root at OpenWrt:/# insmod scx200_gpio
> scx200_gpio: no SCx200 gpio present
> root at OpenWrt:/# insmod scx200_i2c
> scx200_i2c: no SCx200 gpio pins available
>
> (i hope thats no problem of the openwrt-distro...)

Hmm, I think I incorrectly assumed that scx200_i2c supported the same
devices as scx200_acb, but probably the former only supports the SCx200
CPUs and not the CS553x companion chips, sorry.

> are SCx200 GPIO pins supported by i2c_gpio?
> (http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/4/19/22)
>
> should it work with my Geode/LX800 companion?

Last time I checked the answer was no, I don't know if things have
changed since then.

> > If I read the MAX1236 datasheet properly, it uses transactions
> > which aren't part of the SMBus set, so you may need to use the
> > scx200_i2c driver, depending on what exactly you need to do with the
> > MAX1236.
>
> I only want to monitor some voltages in my wind-/solarpower system and draw some
> nice charts - nothing spezial.

"Special" doesn't mean anything, as it depends on what you consider to
be the normal thing in the first place.