Adapter driver for opencores I2C fpga

Morris, John John.Morris at spirentcom.com
Tue Aug 19 18:02:50 CEST 2003

Hi,

I use the opencores i2c verilog (http://www.opencores.org/projects/i2c/) in
a small FPGA to implement an I2C interface on an embedded system.

I've just upgraded to version 2.8 of the I2C code, and have written
algorithm/adapter drivers for that interface. The driver does not yet
support everything that the verilog core is capabale of, but does do
enough to support the devices we have on the card (LM83, MAX6550, EEPROM).

Since most of the hard work is done by the verilog the drivers are quite
simple. I've implemented them following the "bit" model, with an algorithm
driver to do the transfers and adapter drivers to provide access to the
registers implemented in the chip (all these do is hide the register
addresses and widths), so it should be easily portable to new cards that
use the same verilog.

Is this of interest?

John Morris
john.morris at spirentcom.com