tickets needing help

Kyösti Mälkki kyosti.malkki at welho.com
Sat Jan 3 13:25:39 CET 2004

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Jean Delvare wrote:

> > 1503 - i2c_get_client() function in 2.4 kernels - Khali?
>
> #1503 is for Kyösti. He said that i2c_get_client was broken (locking
> issue IIRC) and would need fixing. BTW, what's that function supposed
> to do and how can we possibly not use it at all while a few external
> drivers do? (just curious)

( Has been too long, don't recall ticket access pw. )

It returns a client structure with a specified driver and/or behind a
specified adapter ID. Yes, missing locks there. More importantly,
i2c_get_client cannot work properly if there are several adapters
of the same type. Seems we have to bring it back in among other planned
compatibility changes.

Just don't expect i2c_get_client to reappear in its current form in 2.6
kernels. The function is not needed if the adapter code implemented
client_register callback.

--
  Kyösti Mälkki  <kyosti.malkki at welho.com>