i2c/isa command line tools

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Sat Jul 31 11:35:48 CEST 2004

> I was thinking, instead, about an option we could add to all the tools
> (say -y for "yes") that would skip the warning and the delay.
> This would make the tools better for use in scripts.

I thought of that at first too, but it isn't trivial. Command line
parsing in these tools is tricky and adding such a flag will make things
even more complex. This may be worth the pain if someone really enjoys
the "interactive" mode, but if not, I guess we don't want to keep it.

So what I propose is to surround the "interactive" code in i2cset and
isaset with #ifdef INTERACTIVE/#endif instead of really deleting it.
This allows people who want it to enable that "feature". In case we
later switch to a more advanced command line parsing, we'll propose a
switch instead.

I would also suggest not to print anything on success in non-interactive
mode. Seems that it is a common unix practice to keep quiet when
everything's fine.

The mask is something different which can be implemented in any case.

Thanks.

--
Jean "Khali" Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/