linking libsensors

Philip Edelbrock phil at edgedesign.us
Mon May 10 21:56:54 CEST 2004

If there are license incompatibilities that can only be solved by
changing the license of lm-sensors, then the answer is almost certainly
'No'.  IANAL, but even if we went forward with making an exception for
you, we would need to track down all the copyright holders that have
touched lm-sensors and get explicit permission to change the license for
this exception.  That would be a huge task that is simply not much of a
reality anymore.  In most cases, it isn't advantageous to change our
license anyway, since it goes against the ideals of most of the
contributors who helped make Lm-sensors what it is.

What license is your project written under?  Are you sure it isn't
compatible?

PS- We should probably change the README to eliminate the last two
sentences and perhaps alter the first to remove "at this moment".  I
made the argument a few years ago to switch to LGPL, but my motivations
were probably flawed and I can't see it being a simple task to even do
it legally/correctly at this point with so many drivers and contributors
in the package.

Phil