Query: using parport to send 24-bit serial clock and data?

Grant Coady grant_lkml at dodo.com.au
Mon Apr 18 00:17:03 CEST 2005

Hi there,

I'd like to make an Aztech radio card work outside of the PC, to
improve the reception, as the card is unshielded.  Interface would
be parallel port for controlling channel select.

Need to send a 24-bit control word to LM7001 PLL chip.

The format is chip_enable + serial_clock + data.  Bit-bangimg like
i2c but not the same as there is no serial address decoder, just one
long control word.

I need to take ownership of parport, then bit-bang the serial control
word as well as tickle other signals.

So which low-level driver would you suggest as a starting point?

Thanks,
Grant.