I2C support for IPMI

Corey Minyard cminyard at mvista.com
Wed Jan 19 23:10:31 CET 2005

I'm the maintainer of the IPMI driver, and there is a new function that
needs to be added that does IPMI over SMBUS.  This requires some minor
changes to the I2C interface to support a special function of the IPMI
driver.

The IPMI driver support the ability to store panic information into the
Systen Event Log (SEL) of the IPMI controller.  Since it does this at
panic time, the system can no longer schedule.  Thus the driver has to
be able to do this without jiffies or scheduling.  There are also some
watchdog operations that need to happen at panic time that also need this.

I've attached a patch that modifies the I2C bus drivers to add the
capability to use a delay.  There's some more work to do on the IPMI
driver portion, still, but I thought I would socialize this with the
sensors group first.  This is just a first shot, I'm sure I've missed
something.

This is relative to 2.6.11-rc1.

Thanks,

-Corey