[lm-sensors] SMSC LPC47M192 - "Device is disabled, will not use"

Grant Coady grant_lkml at dodo.com.au
Mon May 30 02:43:04 CEST 2005

On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:18:43 -0400, Keenan Pepper <keenanpepper at gmail.com> wrote:

>Yes, I compiled all the drivers as modules as recommended here:
>http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/kernel26.html
>
>sensors-detect says "Success... but not activated", which confuses me.

I looked at the source, and the 'disabled' message (dmesg) is thrown
as hwmon section of the SuperIO chip appears disabled, perhaps it
was locked by BIOS.  (I know other SuperIO chipset's can lock settings)

>My BIOS displays the fan speed and CPU temperature, so I know the sensors are
>actually there, I just can't access them from linux.

If box is recent or laptop, you don't want to interfere with CPU
cooling / clock control stuff.  Access via ACPI instead, much safer.

I know nothing of the particular driver, but we've covered the
basics, you've provided info requested to clarify your issue,
perhaps the driver author will chime in now :)

--Grant.