[lm-sensors] RE: Helps: how to use i801--SMBus functions via i2c-dev module in Linux?

Rudolf Marek r.marek at sh.cvut.cz
Fri Nov 4 20:47:38 CET 2005

Gu, Mingkun wrote:
> Could anyone advise how I can make use i2c-i801 and/or i2c-dev to access
> ICH6 SMBus controller on a PC motherboard? I have Linux 2.6.10 and
> loaded i2c-core, i2c-i801and i2c-dev modules. lsmod command gave me the
> following info:

> It seems that i2c-i801 is not used by other modules.

This is OK.

If I understand it correctly all you want is to create the _userspace_ program that will send commands to the specific device on the bus.
If so please have a look to linux-2.6.x/Documentation/i2c/dev-interface

Further example could be found in lm-sensors package.
i2cdump.c   i2cset.c etc...

I hope this helps,

Regards
Rudolf