[lm-sensors] Re: Query: should I split adm9240 patch?

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Tue Sep 13 14:32:33 CEST 2005

Hi Grant,

> adm9240 changlog:
> remove half-bit offset from scaled zero value

BTW, this description doesn't mean anything to me. Can you clarify what
this change is all about?

> remove i2c read/write debug wrappers
> change kmalloc + memset to kzalloc
> convert temperature accessors to Yani Ioannou's dynamic sysfs callbacks
> convert voltage accessors to Yani Ioannou's dynamic sysfs callbacks

Fan accessors not converted? I'd understand if you did not convert the
temperature accessors, as there is a single temperature channel, but
there are two fan channels so there would certainly be a benefit in
converting fan accessors.

> (perhaps some more cleanups)
>
> Started on updating adm9240 today, best to know early if the patch
> should be split -- perhaps cleanups then dynamic sysfs?

Yes I think it would be better to split it in two parts, as you just
suggest. The dynamic sysfs callbacks alone are a large change, not
trivial to review, so it'll be easier for me to review if there are no
additional changes in the way. Whether you start with cleanups or sysfs
changes is up to you, I don't think it really matters.

Oh, and please make sure that your patches apply cleanly incrementaly
over 2.6.14-rc1 + your previous adm9240 cleanup patch.

Thanks,