[lm-sensors] Linux 2.6.16 kernel and "Can't access procfs/sysfs file"

Keith Edmunds keith at midnighthax.com
Tue Jul 11 14:11:19 CEST 2006

Hi

I've installed lm_sensors v2.10.0 on a Linux system running a 2.16.6
kernel. That's a Debian kernel, but I've also tried with a 2.6.17.4
vanilla kernel.

lm_sensors builds and installs fine, and sensors-detect runs and detects
i2c-i801. The 'sensors' command gives 'Can't access procfs/sysfs file'.
The FAQ suggests ensuring that /sys is mounted and populated (it is),
and that i2c-proc is loaded. That module is not loaded, but it doesn't
seem to be in the 2.16.6 kernels.

Should I have an i2c-proc module? If not, any further suggestions would
be welcome - thanks.

Keith