[lm-sensors] sysfs interface for fan present capability

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Sun Jun 4 19:42:26 CEST 2006

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006, Hans de Goede wrote:
> I think they are just seeing if it gives any "ticks" at all, so it won't
> detect a 2 wire fan even if connected to one if its headers.

Two-wire fans can be detected just as well as three-wire ones, if you
measure current draw :)  In fact, some chips (like the lm75) can actually
COUNT ticks on two-wire fans by measuring spikes in the current draw...

If you detect fan presence using ticks, you will never detect a stuck fan on
startup, which is *dangerous* as it could cause the software inhibit an
alarm on that fan.

  Henrique Holschuh