[lm-sensors] A better fan control program

Mark M. Hoffman mhoffman at lightlink.com
Wed Jun 28 12:49:01 CEST 2006

Hi Paul:

* Paul Crowley <paul at lshift.net> [2006-06-28 11:09:48 +0100]:
> I know there are several programs out there that adjust your fan speed
> based on temperature readings.  However, I couldn't find one worked well
> on my system, so I wrote my own.   This program takes a very simple
> approach: if the system is too hot, the fans run on maximum power,
> otherwise they run at minimum power.  The reasoning behind this approach
> is explained at length here:
>
> http://www.lshift.net/blog/2006/06/26/thermostat-defeat

I skimmed through the blog entry and the earlier one which it references.
In your first attempt you reinvented the 'P' part of a PID control loop.
Don't give up! ;)  There's a *ton* of info about PID controllers on the
web.  If you're still interested, you could start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman