[lm-sensors] w83627dhg and coretemp temperature mismatch?

Florian Echtler echtler at in.tum.de
Mon Jul 30 15:34:28 CEST 2007

> > As I have a passively-cooled CPU, I am a bit nervous about temperatures,
> > so I'm curious if somebody can explain the difference (and which one is
> > closer to reality ;-).
> The w83627dhg chip reads the temperature from a sensors which is put
> somewhere near (under?) the socket of the CPU. coretemp reads the two
> sensors inside the CPU.
Thanks - I suspected something along these lines. But why is the
external sensor then giving a higher temperature reading than the
internal sensors? Is there some sort of compensation built in, because
the mainboard manufacturer wants to stay on the safe side? (The
difference seems to be around 4-5 °C).

Yours, Florian