[lm-sensors] SMSC47m1 Error inserting and Not configured - will notuse errors

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Wed Mar 7 10:04:25 CET 2007

Hi Jan,

> Honestly speaking I have no other reference (e.g. Windows) than this
> installation to see what the chip is capable of reporting.

Do you see any hardware monitoring information in the BIOS setup
screen? If not, this is usually a good indication that there is no
monitoring chip.

> I'm assuming that, besides FAN-speeds, it also monitors and reports voltage
> levels, etc... But I couldn't find any datasheet to support those thoughts.

No, this particular SMSC chip can only do fan speed monitoring and
control.

> So probably that leaves me with a motherboard of which I cannot monitor
> anything... Or do you have any other suggestions to get readings of, let's
> say CPU core temperature, etc...

If a recent version of sensors-detect didn't find any other sensor
device, indeed it looks like you can't monitor anything.

You may try ACPI (kernel modules "fan" and "thermal") instead though.