[lm-sensors] http://www.lm-sensors.org/ticket/2188

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Sun Mar 18 21:00:27 CET 2007

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:16:30 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> General remarks:
> - i2x writes / read status never gets checked anywhere, I dunno if this is done
>    in other lm_sensors drivers similary, but IMHO these things should be
>    checked!

Most other I2C/SMBus hardware monitoring drivers indeed do not check
the status on I2C transactions and assume they were successful. This is
bad, but OTOH in a vast majority of cases it doesn't cause problem.
SMBus appears to be very reliable in practice.

Not to say that I do not encourage driver authors to check the status
of I2C transactions, but this is definitely not mandatory to get your
driver accepted in mainline.