[lm-sensors] lm-sensors 3.0.0 has been released!

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Sat Nov 24 15:34:09 CET 2007

Hi all,

After over 7 months of work and 3 release candidates, lm-sensors 3.0.0
is finally there!

Important changes compared to lm-sensors 2.10:
* lm-sensors 3 only supports kernels 2.6.5 and later.
* It is now a user-space-only package, it no longer contains kernel
  drivers.
* The i2c tools have been moved to a separate package (surprisingly
  named i2c-tools).
* libsensors' internal version was bumped to 4.0.0, as it has a
  completely new API we had to increase the .so version. This new
  library contains no chip-specific knowledge, it assumes that hardware
  monitoring drivers follow the standard sysfs interface. A very nice
  benefit of this is that the size of the library has been divided by
  4 (down from 222 kB to 55 kB on i386).
* sensors.conf is not fully compatible between the old and the new
  library. The lm-sensors 3 package includes a conversion script
  from the old format to the new one.
* Some kernel drivers still don't implement the standard interface
  for alarms, so alarm flags won't show.

I would like to thank Hans de Goede and his students for contributing
the initial rewrite of libsensors, which made it all possible.