[lm-sensors] configure lm-sensors on ubuntu 64bit

naga vamsi krishna talupula tnvkrishna at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 17 18:19:09 CEST 2008

Hii ,
This is the first time I am using this mailing list .
Forgive me if I break any convention used.

My problem is that I am not able to configure lm-sensors on my laptop.
Specs:

{ Ubuntu 8.04 64bit
Kernel : 2.6.24-21(generic)
acer 5920g.
Please ask if any extra info. is needed . }

I followed the method to configure lm-sensors as given here :: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2780 ::.

The outputs to terminal are:

krishna at talupula:~/Downloads$ sudo ./mkdev.sh
[sudo] password for krishna:
/dev/i2c-0
/dev/i2c-1
/dev/i2c-2
/dev/i2c-3
/dev/i2c-4
/dev/i2c-5
/dev/i2c-6
/dev/i2c-7
/dev/i2c-8
/dev/i2c-9
/dev/i2c-10
/dev/i2c-11
/dev/i2c-12
/dev/i2c-13
/dev/i2c-14
/dev/i2c-15
/dev/i2c-16
/dev/i2c-17
/dev/i2c-18
/dev/i2c-19
/dev/i2c-20
/dev/i2c-21
/dev/i2c-22
/dev/i2c-23
/dev/i2c-24
/dev/i2c-25
/dev/i2c-26
/dev/i2c-27
/dev/i2c-28
/dev/i2c-29
/dev/i2c-30
/dev/i2c-31

After sudo sensors-detect

The last few lines are (I just pressed enter when ever it asks for (YES/no) or (yes/NO)):

#----cut here----
# Chip drivers
coretemp
#----cut here----

Then

krishna at talupula:~/Downloads$ sudo /etc/init.d/module-init-tools
[sudo] password for krishna:

Then added the below four lines to /etc/modprobe.d/local

#----cut here----
# I2C module options
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
#----cut here----

Then added the following 4 lines to /etc/modules

#----cut here----
# Chip drivers
coretemp
#----cut here----

Now typed sensors in terminal , the output was :

krishna at talupula:~/Downloads$ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:      +46.0°C  (crit = +85.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0001
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 1:      +46.0°C  (crit = +85.0°C)

I THINK THAT THIS IS A WRONG OUTPUT ( I HAVE READ IT IN UBUNTU FORUMS )

Could you please help to configure my lm-sensors ........
My laptop is getting too hot and the fans would only start at 60degrees (i saw the temperature in the applet in ubuntu panel)

Sorry for my long mail ....
Please ask me if you need amy extra information .