[lm-sensors] adt746x hard shut question

Reimundo Heluani rheluani at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 02:51:00 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Reimundo Heluani <rheluani at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello list, I am running the module therm_adt746x on a powerbook g4 and the
> module seems to be doing its thing right. I can set different limits writing
> to /sys/devices/temperatures/limit_adjust and the fans seem to be responding
> correctly to both temperature and load. The problem I have is that if I run
> any compilation for more than a few minutes on performance governor, the
> system hard shuts itself down. I was wandering if this is done at the
> Hardware level, or if it's the module who's putting this limit. Also I'd
> like to know what is this limit and if it's possible to change it. As of now
> I can only compile things in powersave mode.
>
> Thanks,
>
> R.

Well, looking at the code for the module I see that there is a hardcoded
limit of 65 degrees Celsius for the CPU. Then later there is a line of the
form:
/*Set sensor1 limit higher to avoid powerdowns*/
and then set the limit to 65 + limit_adjust.

But my system (with a limit adjust of 0) powers down automatically at 70 C.
Are these hardcoded limits too low or should I be looking to change the
thermal paste + heatsink?

Thanks,

R.