[lm-sensors] "No sensors found!" on Intel Entry Storage System SS4200

Lou Gosselin tech2009 at evergrove.com
Sat Jan 30 01:17:06 CET 2010

Jean Delvare wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 21:29:16 +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:

>>> I was thinking about using the 'force' parameter to givie the address
>>> explicitly to the module, the device may be on non standard port.
>>> sensors-detect is usually more capable of detecting devices than kernel
>>> modules
>>>
>> Good point. The dme1737 driver only recognizes version/stepping value
>> of 0x69 as the SCH5027. sensors-detect OTOH recognizes all version/
>> steppings from 0x69 to 0x6f. It would be interesting to see a dump of
>> the chip (modprobe i2c-dev then run i2cdump), I'd guess you have a
>> version/stepping value > 0x69.
>>

> Ping. Can we have the output of i2cdump for your chip, please?
>

>> It might help to have a physical look at the chip and read the top
>> marking, if this is possible.
>>

> This would also be helpful, if possible.

Wow, it's been a while since then, I'm not on the list any longer.

I've attached two files.
sensors.txt shows the output that I get with sensors-detect and sensors.

i2cbus.txt shows output for i2cdetect and i2cdump.
Let me point out that after running "i2cdump 0 0x6a", lmsensors was no
longer responsive. Furthermore the machine failed to reboot until I did
a cold boot.

I'm not sure what chip to look for, but according to this document:
http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/ss4200-e/sb/ss4200e_tps_11.pdf
"Enclosure management is performed by a SMSC SCH5027D part with an
integrated hardware monitor controller. The SMSC component monitors
various aspects of the storage enclosure."

If you feel it's helpful I can try to take a picture.

I'll give any suggestions a shot, or if you're willing, I can setup one
of these machines for you to connect to.