[lm-sensors] IPMI interface not found by sensors

Ajai Puri ajaipuri at yahoo.com
Mon May 17 18:30:27 CEST 2010

Hi,
I'm running a CentOS 2.6.18-164 kernel patched with the ipmisensors patch recommended for >= 2.6.17 versions, to try and retrieve sensor information through an IPMI interface.

Using lm_sensors version 3.1.2:

Sensors-detect locates it as follows:

Found `IPMI BMC KCS' at 0xca2...                            Success!
    (confidence 8, driver `ipmisensors')

However, 'sensors reports 'no sensors found'.

Debugging sensors with gdb, it would appear that  no entries are added to the sensors_proc_chips_count through sensors_add_proc_chips from within sensors_read_one_sysfs_chip. This in turn would appear to be a result of the ipmi entry not having a "name" attribute as checked by sysfs_read_attr, under the comment /* ignore any device without name attribute */ in sysfs.c.

ipmisensors, ipmi_si and ipmi_msghandler are all loaded and running.

What I'm not sure if I've missed a step somewhere that would add the name attribute under the hwmon_path for this ipmi interface? Or what that "name" attribute would look like.

Output of sensors-detect, sensors, and dmesg (filtered for ipmi) is attached.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Ajai Puri mailto:ajaipuri at yahoo.com