[lm-sensors] Driver for SMSC SCH5627 needed

Juerg Haefliger juergh at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 10:35:51 CET 2010

Hi Jean

>> Took a quick glance at the datasheet. This is a totally different
>> beast that is not even remotely compatible to anything we support thus
>> far AFAIK. It contains an embedded microcontroller (!) which handles
>> all the hwmon related tasks. The datasheet that I received doesn't
>> contain any information about the microcontroller other than a simple
>> block diagram. So at the moment it's absolutely a no go and even with
>> all the technical data we would have to start from scratch with a new
>> driver.
>
> Thanks Juerg for checking this. Can you please update sensors-detect
> with the device name and features, and also create an entry in
> wiki/Devices? So that other user with that chip know the current
> status, even if it's bad.

I added detection to sensors-detect but I'm not too happy with the outcome:
Trying family `SMSC'...                                     Yes
Found `SMSC SCH5627 Desktop Embedded Controller'
   (but not activated)

The chip shouldn't be probed at all since it's non-standard. Users
might get confused by the 'not activated' message and will ask how to
activate it. Is there a way to bypass the probing and just print a
message that there is no driver for this chip?

...Juerg