[lm-sensors] local macro

Guenter Roeck guenter.roeck at ericsson.com
Wed Oct 6 23:02:26 CEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 15:54 -0400, Paul Thomas wrote:
> > No, both of those are runtime options internal to the ads7871, and
> > because we initiate a read by setting that register anyway there isn't
> > any additional setup cost (at least there isn't any spi cost, there is
> > a little additional code in show_voltage).

This isn't a matter of cost, but a matter of maintaining a consistent
ABI.

A brief look into the datasheet shows that the chip is a generic adc. So
I assume its use is not limited to voltage monitoring, and that you
would in fact expect to change the gain during runtime (ie not only at
system startup). Is this a correct assumption ?

Thanks,
Guenter