[lm-sensors] Lack of fan sensor output after Ubuntu upgrade

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Mon Sep 13 08:44:32 CEST 2010

Fredag 10. september 2010 17.29.38 skreiv rxemi Gauthier

> For my dell vostro 3500 i8k module + package i8kutils add i8kctl help to
> manage 3 speed only, never less than 2000 rpm
> for other dell xps we found this "write "i8k force=1" in /etc/modules
> for fan control

I modprobed i8k and got

FATAL: Error inserting i8k (/lib/modules/2.6.35-20-
generic/kernel/drivers/char/i8k.ko): No such device

so presumably not the same hardware?

Fredag 10. september 2010 18.15.27 skreiv Guenter Roeck:

> It may simply be that your new kernel _is_ running hotter. There was a
> discussion about such an issue on the kernel mailing list a few weeks ago.
> The fix should be in the latest kernel. Maybe it isn't included in the
> Ubuntu 10.10 release yet.

The current latest kernel appear to be 2.6.35-20. Do you know which version
should contain the fix?

Best,
Lars Ivar