[lm-sensors] Any idea to support Fintek F71808A

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Thu Apr 7 09:29:55 CEST 2011

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 13:47:45 -0700, D.B. Tsai wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sure, I can take the risk of the disabling acpi resource conflict
> check, and I'm willing to test your code. Please let send me the code
> when you finish it. By the way, I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 with kernel
> 2.6.38-8-server, and wondering to know that when will the mainline
> kernel fix this conflict issue?

Never, as this isn't a bug per se. Your ACPI BIOS wants to control the
I/O ports, the kernels wants them too, and that's about it. If your
BIOS requests the I/O ports but doesn't use them, then it's a bug in
your BIOS.

Some vendors (Asus) request the I/O ports for a reason, and they
implement a proprietary interface on top of the hardware monitoring
chip. In this case it is possible to write an ACPI driver as a
replacement for the native driver. Unfortunately, most other vendors
which request the I/O ports don't implement anything like this.