[lm-sensors] System instability with Supermicro X8DTi-F and w83795...

Erik Brakkee erik at brakkee.org
Tue Apr 12 19:09:32 CEST 2011

Philip Pokorny wrote:
> Your own experience says that fancontrol, lmsensors and a BMC do not
> have a way to coordinate actions which leads to errors and faults.
>
> And as Jean has said, the Winbond chip has a paged register set that
> requires coordination to access.  The BMC code has now way to
> coordinate access with the OS.
>
> Jean mentions thermal trip points. I believe that the winbond chip
> includes it's own autonomous fan speed control seperate from the BMC
> monitoring. What if you just reprogram the fan control curves in the
> Winbond chip once at boot if you don't like the ES BIOS fan control
> curve?
I am probably not going to do that because it sounds risky.

> Otherwise, no I don't think what you want is possible.
So that's clear now. The solution I have now is also acceptable. (Also,
I did not receive Jean's mail).

> How hot were the CPU under full load with the ES fan curve that you
> felt they needed to be colder?
Under full CPU load for a longer time, it can get up to 85-90 degrees
Celsius when I use the lowest setting in the motherboard. With maximum
cooling it gets to 72 degrees in such a case. When I use fancontrol I
can make it such that it is around 59 degrees while idle and at most 75
degrees when fully loaded. A temperature of 59 degrees is the
temperature just after it starts up so the minimum temperature. Right
now I am just using a setting which is one higher than the lowest in the
motherboard and that is acceptable, but it will be a bit louder under
idle conditions. Under full load it will get approximately 80 degrees.

--

Nonsense and other useful things: http://brakkee.org
MountainHoppers: http://mountainhoppers.nl