[lm-sensors] [PATCH] hwmon: (coretemp) Fix oops on driver load
khali at linux-fr.org
Sun Dec 11 13:49:50 CET 2011
On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 19:50:04 +0800 (HKT), undersys wrote:
> I would like to see the contents of /proc/cpuinfo.
> undersys -> attached
I can only confirm that this is one of the series where the microcode
needs to be recent enough. No surprise here.
> > Micro code was working on 2.6.29 and 2.6.39 , then I jumped to 3.0.6.
> I admit I don't quite get it for now. While the device probing logic
> was modified a lot in the coretemp driver of kernel 3.0, the microcode
> check did not change, so I just don't get why the new driver would
> behave differently from the previous ones in this respect.
> For testing purposes, I made the 2.6.39 version of the coretemp driver
> available as a standalone driver:
> (Instructions at http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/misc/INSTALL )
> I would like you to test it on your 3.0 kernel and report whether it is
> working or not. You'll have to rmmod the original coretemp driver
> before loading coretemp_old, you can't have both loaded at once.
> If coretemp_old works, then please rmmod it and modprobe coretemp
> again, and see if it then works.
> undersys ->
> I built your module(coretemp_old), works fine no kernel opps.
> The only lines printed to "dmesg" are :-
> [ 133.603204] coretemp coretemp.0: Errata AE18 not fixed, update BIOS or microcode of the CPU!
> [ 133.603277] coretemp coretemp.1: Errata AE18 not fixed, update BIOS or microcode of the CPU!
> [ 133.603329] coretemp coretemp.2: Errata AE18 not fixed, update BIOS or microcode of the CPU!
> [ 133.603379] coretemp coretemp.3: Errata AE18 not fixed, update BIOS or microcode of the CPU!
> If i remove it and then attempt to re-probe the new one, the new one fails.
I'm giving up on this one. I tried reproducing on one of my systems by
simulating a wrong microcode version. I obtain the same behavior for
the 2.6.32, 2.6.39 and (fixed) 3.0 versions of the coretemp driver:
error message in the log, driver loads without crashing, and "sensors"
show no coretemp device. So this is all as expected and I don't see any
regression here, thus there is nothing for me to fix.
More information about the lm-sensors