[lm-sensors] Fintek F71862FG Super IO Sensors only shows coretemp correct.

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Fri Sep 9 12:12:18 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 09/08/2011 10:59 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-08 at 16:32 -0400, Hans de Goede wrote:

<snip>

>> Reading the data sheet, this means that the pwm settings for
>> fan 2 and 3 are: 00 and 00, where as fan 1 has 01. The data sheet gives
>> the following table for these:
>>
>> 00: Reserved
>> 01: Auto fan speed control, fan speed will follow different temperature by
>> different duty cycle (voltage) that define in 0xB6-0xBE.
>> 10: Reserved
>> 11: Manual mode fan control, user can write expect duty cycle (PWM fan
>> type) or voltage(linear fan type) to 0xC3, and F71883FG will output this
>> value duty or voltage to control fan speed.

<snip>

>> So the driver bails because something, likely the BIOS on your board has
>> written an illegal value to the Fan mode Select Register.
>>
>> I guess the BIOS only setups fan 1 and the *cough* brilliant *cough* BIOS
>> developers decided to just write 00 as value for the other fans, sigh.
>>
>> There are really 2 things we can do here:
>> 1) Overwrite the BIOS settings, tricky, could do this with a module option
>> 2) Instead of not binding the driver at all, allow the driver initialization
>> to continue normally, but don't register the pwm interface. This requires
>> some thinking wrt modifying the code a bit though.
>>
>> 1 is a really bad idea IMHO, so I'll think a bit about doing 2.
>>
> Or 2a): Don't create sysfs entries for a fan if its mode value is
> invalid (reserved).

Good one, I had thought a bit about that too, but I was afraid the code
changes would be non nice to make. But it turns out doing this is reasonably
easy, I'll send a patch set for this in a separate thread.

Daniel, attached is a new standalone version of the f71882fg driver,
can you test this please?

To compile drop both files into a directory and then in this directory do:
make
sudo rmmod f71882fg
sudo insmod f71882fg.ko

And then run sensors again :)