[lm-sensors] k10temp driver reports 0 degree C

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Wed Apr 25 13:06:17 CEST 2012

On 25/04/12 08:23, Jean Delvare wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:35:33 -0700, Crunchy Toast wrote:
>>
>> I've installed and configured the latest lm_sensors on CentOS 6, but still does not show temp.
>>
>> # sensors
>> k10temp-pci-00c3
>> Adapter: PCI adapter
>> temp1: +0.0°C (high = +70.0°C)
>>
>> Here is the output to sensors-detect

>> # sensors-detect
>> Stopping lm_sensors: [ OK ]
>> # sensors-detect revision 6031 (2012-03-07 17:14:01 +0100)
>> # System: MSI MS-7599 [4.0]
>> # Board: MSI 870S-G46 (MS-7599)
>> (...)
>> Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
>> Just press ENTER to continue:
>>
>> Driver `k10temp' (autoloaded):
>> * Chip `AMD Family 10h thermal sensors' (confidence: 9)
>>
>> Driver `f71882fg':
>> * ISA bus, address 0x600
>> Chip `Fintek F71889ED Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)
>>
>> Do you want to overwrite /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (YES/no): yes
>> Starting lm_sensors: loading module f71882fg [ OK ]
>>
>> # sensors
>> k10temp-pci-00c3
>> Adapter: PCI adapter
>> temp1: +0.0°C (high = +70.0°C)
>> MB Model: MSI 870S-G46
>> Any additional info can be provided if needed.
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> Did you check the kernel logs for a warning message when the k10temp
> driver is loaded?
>
> Which kernel is this? If it isn't too recent, you may want to try the
> stand-alone version of the k10temp driver:
>    http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/misc/k10temp/
>
> Instructions are at:
>    http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/misc/INSTALL
>
> Which exact CPU is this? Note that some revisions of the AMD Family 10h
> CPU are known to have broken sensors. From
> http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices:
>
> "Embedded sensors are known to be unreliable on the DR-BA, DR-B2,
> DR-B3, RB-C2 and HY-D0 revisions of the family 10h CPU, which will
> never be supported."
>
> So it might as well be a hardware defect and nothing the k10temp driver
> can do.
>
> That being said, you are supposed to have a Fintek F71889ED monitoring
> chip, which you could use instead for temperature monitoring, unless
> ACPI is blocking it. You'll need kernel 2.6.39 or later, or use a
> stand-alone driver:
> http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/misc/f71882fg/

Jean - if I may make a suggestion for the OP,

Elrepo (http://elrepo.org) also have some updated (backported) hwmon
drivers specifically built for for RHEL/CentOS kernels, including
updated k10temp and f71882fg drivers backported from the LTS
kernel-3.0.y branch.

If you'd like to try these, they are conveniently packaged in
kABI-tracking RPM form.

Once you have set up the elrepo repository, just:

yum install kmod-k10temp kmod-f71882fg

and reboot to ensure the new drivers are loaded (or unload/reload the
drivers with modprobe).

As these drivers are packaged in kABI-tracking format, they will survive
future kernel updates so you don't need to recompile the drivers for
every new kernel.

Hope that helps.