[lm-sensors] sensor 3.3.1 and previous do not properly detect/show CPUTIN temperature - maximus iv extreme Revision 3.0 motherboard

Martin Suchanek martin.suc at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 29 01:18:46 CEST 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Guenter Roeck
<guenter.roeck at ericsson.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 03:04:51PM -0400, Martin Suchanek wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Guenter Roeck <
> guenter.roeck at ericsson.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >     On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 06:08:23AM -0400, Martin Suchanek wrote:
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 5:30 AM, Guenter Roeck <
> >     guenter.roeck at ericsson.com>
> >     > wrote:
> >     >
> >     >     On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:47:47AM +0100, Martin Suchanek
> wrote:
> >     >     > Hi,
> >     >     >
> >     >     > Add info:
> >     >     > I have found software called open hardware monitor. I have
> been
> >     testing
> >     >     it
> >     >     > in windows for couple of days and it works properly with
> Nuvoton
> >     NST6776F
> >     >     > chip. I have been comparing results with AI Suite software
> coming
> >     from
> >     >     ASUS
> >     >     > and results are corresponding and measuring is with big
> precise. So
> >     , you
> >     >     > can have a look to source code and compare with your driver.
> This
> >     >     software
> >     >     > should work on linux as well but I did not try it yet but I
> will.
> >     >     >
> >     >     I finally had time to look into the open hardware monitor code.
> >     >
> >     >     The answer is quite simple - the board get the CPU temperature
> using
> >     PECI,
> >     >     which the w83627ehf/nct67765 driver reports is as "PECI Agent
> 0".
> >     >     Open Hardware Monitor maps that temperature into the CPU
> temperature
> >     >     display
> >     >     and ignores CPUTIN. Which makes sense, since the purpose of
> PECI is
> >     >     report
> >     >     the CPU temperature.
> >     >
> >     >     So all you need to do is to ignore the value of CPUTIN and use
> the
> >     "PECI
> >     >     Agent 0"
> >     >     temperature instead.
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > I am now confused ?
> >     > I do not know technical details but according to ASUS technical
> support
> >     > CPUTIN is temperature of motherboard (not cpu socket , not cpu
> yourself )
> >     > what exactly this temperature means ?
> [...]

 Oh, sorry , I did not explain it in all context. Minus 60 Celsius has
motherboard in red colour.
 On the screenshot there is - 60 celsius temperature which corresponding
with value as in windows 7 as in linux psensor/lm-sensor as in my bios in
under certain complicated circumstances :-) That's the one for the reasons
why I am arguing due to meaning of CPUTIN.
 I try to explain - it is more complex:
Minus 60 Celsius does not mean that sensor is not connected. It is
connected because - In 90 percent of my computer working time it is
properly measuring value by BIOS and AI Suite ... EXCEPT lm-sensor/psensor
in Linux - it is ALWAYS minus 60 Celsius - this is wrong.
 What I am trying to say is that the problem is definitely at first with
hardware (this part I am still working on it with asus technical support)
and at second lm-sensor software in Linux. "Normally" , it is working
perfectly fine BUT in some very rarely occasions - when computer is running
much much longer temperature appears as minus 60 Celsius in Windows/BIOS".
BUT In Linux - it is ALWAYS minus 60 Celsius - it never was different value.
 Only CPUTIN temperature has such problem in Linux. The other temperatures
- SYSTIN , AUXTIN , PECI Agent 0 have been always correct as in Windows as
in BIOS as in Linux. I have been comparing/inspecting those values more
than half a year so I am sure about those temperature values :-)

  What I am totally confused is the meaning of CPUTIN/SYSTIN - from my
point of experience you are first person who is saying that CPUTIN is CPU
temperature and not motherboard temperature which is opposite what ASUS
technical support saying and further reason which I have mentioned before.
  ( :-) So if ASUS technical support is wrong it would be fun to talk with
ASUS technical support but I have to be absolutely sure about the meaning
of CPUTIN and SYSTIN :-) )
  On many forums - owners of this motherboard are confused like me and I
did not find any reliable source of information to be sure how is it in
real ?

If I run open hardware monitor in linux - there is no values for
temperatures - except GPU - but only one instead of two and etc. ... too
many discrepancies within this software on Linux so I do not trust that it
is correct measuring (need to contact author later)

AI Suite is commercial ASUS software for measuring many usefull "bios"
parameters like temperatures/fans/voltages etc. ... but only for windows) -
so no source code at all - I will try to find some config files.
By the way - ASUS is not supporting linux at all and will not be - they
confirmed that.

Please accept my apology If I explained something bad/wrong way - (I am not
good in explaination) - let me know for further information.

Regards,
Martin